- Day 1 – Join the flight to Washington DC. Upon arrival you will be met and transferred to your hotel for a two-night stay.
- Day 2 – Washington DC This morning we take an included halfday city tour by coach. We begin the tour with an introduction to Civil War history at the Museum of American History. Spend the afternoon at leisure.
- Day 3 – Gettysburg We travel this morning to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania for a tour of the famous battlefield. The Battle of Gettysburg in July 1863 is often quoted as the Civil War’s turning point and resulted in the Confederates, under General Robert E Lee, retreating back to Virginia after their attempted second invasion into Union territory. Abraham Lincoln, in November of the same year, delivered his famous Gettysburg Address here at the dedication ceremony for the Gettysburg National Cemetery. In the evening, join our included ‘Ghosts of Gettysburg’ tour. Stay overnight in Gettysburg.
- Day 4 – Antietam Battlefield and Harper’s Ferry Included visit to the battlefield of Antietam (admission included), the bloodiest one-day battle in US history where Lee’s invasion of Maryland was ended. Onwards to Harper’s Ferry, where in 1859 John Brown led his famous party of 21 men and secured the federal armoury; the slave uprising was to precipitate the onset of the Civil War. Overnight in Harper’s Ferry..
- Day 5 – Lynchburg, Virginia We travel to Lynchburg, an important central transportation centre for the Confederacy army as well as having a large hospital for Confederate soldiers, and scene of the Battle of Lynchburg in 1864. We take a tour of the town before spending an overnight here.
- Day 6 – Appomattox, Petersburg and Richmond We travel first to Appomattox, where in 1865 General Lee surrendered to Lt. General Ulysses S Grant, which signalled the end of the Southern States’ attempt to create a separate nation. The surrender set the stage for the emergence of an expanded and more powerful Federal Government and the end of the war led directly to the adoption of the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments to the Constitution – ending slavery, providing citizenship and male suffrage. We visit the Museum of the Confederacy and then on to the Petersburg Battlefield (admission included), where the Union Army held the Confederates in a 292-day siege, the longest in American warfare. Travel on to nearby Richmond for an overnight stay.
- Day 7 – Arlington Cemetery We return to Washington, arriving late morning. Spend the afternoon in the capital or join our optional visit to Arlington National Cemetery.
- Day 8 & 9 – We head this morning to Manassas/Bull Run, where two battles took place, before transferring to the airport for the return overnight flight home.
- Fully escorted in the USA by a Specialist Historical Guide
- Excursions and visits as described in the itinerary
- 7 nights’ accommodation sharing a twin room on a room-only basis
- Return schedule flights from London to and from Washington
- Airport Taxes
- Airport transfers in the USA
- Air-conditioned coach travel
- Hotel porterage for 1 bag per person
Flights are with Virgin Atlantic or British Airways from London Heathrow to Washington.
Regional connections to Heathrow available from a supplement of £115 per person.
All prices are subject to availability.
Flight supplements may apply.
Call for more details of flight prices/times. This holiday is operated by Leger Air Holidays Ltd. ATOL 3880.
Optional Excursion - Arlington National Cemetery
This excursion needs to be prebooked – cost £20 per person
Designated a military cemetery on June 15 1864, Veterans and military casualties from every one of the nation's wars since the American Civil War are interred in the cemetery. During the guided visit you will see many of Arlington’s famous memorials, including the Eternal Flame of the Kennedy grave, and the world-famous Tomb of the Unknowns.
Prices are per person, based on two sharing a twin room
- All meals
- Optional excursions
- Admission to places of interest except those mentioned as included
- Single room supplement £445
- Travel insurance from £69
- Regional flight supplements